Leadership 2040 … and Social Media

Published on: Author: bette 4 Comments

MoveOn elected Barak Obama to be our President in 2008.  Twitter elected Donald Trump in 2016 … and by now it’s probably a foregone conclusion that social media will be a major influence in every election from here on in.  The “secret” Facebook group called Pantsuit Nation only had about 3 million members when Hillary Clinton lost in November 2016 … but then again, Libby Chamberlain just created that group after the last debate of the campaign.

I ran across a blog post by Holly Love the other day called “For Those Who Are Not OK.”  Holly is a teacher in Atlanta, Georgia and was simply telling the story about her experience in her inner-city school the day after the election.  It was so powerful that I couldn’t help but reply; I wanted to give her any support I could.

That’s when it hit me that not only will Facebook continue to influence our lives and our decision making, blogging may very well be a major factor in the outcome of the next election.  More to the point, this new technology gives teacher-bloggers a powerful new tool to do what they have always done best: INFLUENCE the FUTURE

That thought hit me after reading a comment on Holly Love’s blog. It was posted by a teacher who works in the same school, but when I read it from 3000 miles away I felt like I wanted to run down the hall and give both of them a hug.

Here’s the comment – you can scroll back to the post:

For Those Who Are Not Ok

I’m writing this now because I couldn’t let go of the question:  “How do I drag my ‘white self’ into my Title 1 classroom this morning?”

The only answer to them is  “You have to.”

That makes me feel both relieved and sad. I no longer have a classroom to walk into today.  All I have is my computer and the Internet.

That’s ALL I have?

What an understatement!  I might not be dragging “my white self” into a classroom today … but I can do a lot more than simply wear a Safety Pin!  I can let two young teachers in Atlanta know that I’m with them today.  I can also suggest that other teachers share their stories so that when the students in their classrooms today are running the country in the year 2040 we will all have learned to live together a little bit more peacefully.

4 Responses to Leadership 2040 … and Social Media Comments (RSS) Comments (RSS)

1. Of course we have to take our white selves into school & the Internet 😉 ,
    ..,it’s what I did through 2 Bush elections while teaching at a shelter filled with adjudicated girls on the south side of Dekalb… Somehow my white-maleness played a particularly stark role in in the sorrow I felt on Wednesday a.m. In fact, several students and staff actually subsequently asked me if I’d voted for Trump 🙁
    I needed that moment in my truck to grieve for the kids who had counted on the white majority to do the right thing… it hit like a ton of bricks that we didn’t.
    Thank you for speaking up and speaking out- our school is very lucky to have you, Holly

• You’re right, Mr. M … your school is lucky to have Holly.

I am deeply saddened by what is happening to our society … but I also see this as an opportunity to find a “third way” … a new way of being with each other.

A friend of mine posted a Ted Talk by Jonathan Haidt this morning. It is 20 minutes long, but it occurs to me that if every teacher in the nation were to watch it – and talk about it with their students – the world might look a lot better in 2040 than it does now.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jonathan_haidt_can_a_divided_america_heal?utm_source=newsletter_weekly_2016-11-12&utm_campaign=newsletter_weekly&utm_medium=email&utm_content=talk_of_the_week_button

He asks the question “Can America Heal? and the answer is yes … if we choose.

• Bette…this is an excellent Ted Talk! I read the transcript, because it was faster! I’m gonna try and post part of it on my Facebook page.
        The idea of disgust vs anger and the division between liberal and conservative becoming more pronounced is very enlightening.
        And the Teacher blog was good, too…so heartbreaking the child holding up his arm next to the teacher and saying, “See, I’m white, too!”
        And the Ted Talk mentions reading Buddha, Jesus and Marcus Arelius! 🙂 and Imagine, by John…

• You’re right, Nancy … there’s so much here. I had to laugh that you said it was faster for you to read the transcript. That could open a whole new discussion about learning styles! It might be faster for me to read, but I am such an auditory learner that if I want to remember something – really learn it – I have to slow way down and/or hear it. I’m sure I’ll come back to this Ted Talk many times ….