Where to from here…. ?

Published on: Author: bette 2 Comments

If the story of the United States of America were a novel, today would mark the end of Part One.  Together as a nation we will begin writing Part Two tomorrow.

I’ve been up since early this morning writing because that’s what I do when I need to process my own thoughts.  I needed to go back to what I was thinking 9 months ago, and instead of trying to write something new here, I’m just going to copy and paste the comment I made on my January 24th post.  I will come back later today … and may write more …

It’s 4 AM on Election Day 2016 and I couldn’t get back to sleep. It always helps me to get up and write … and this morning I feel like I need to go back and reconnect with what I wrote on January 24th.

When I first wrote this post I called it “My Journey” because it was about my dad and how I was raised. It was not intended to be about politics because I never really believed that the Evangelical church would sell its soul like it has done.

I have a little notebook I call my journal of “Positive Aspects.” When something really awful happens I write a short statement about what happened – then go on to write as much as I can about what the “positive aspects” might be when I can distance myself from the immediate pain.

Right now two short statements come to mind:

• “Donald Trump has split the Evangelical Church.”
  • “Donald Trump has given an army of hateful people permission to hate.”

If I were to start writing about the positive aspects of the first one, I could write quite a lot. Trump has opened a conversation that the church might never have been able to have without him. I know that’s true because for the past month or so I have participated in two such conversations:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unfundamentalistchristians/2016/10/dispensationalism-a-doctrine-more-dangerous-than-hell-itself/.

https://sojo.net/articles/read-you-cast-supreme-court-vote

So I think the the positive aspect is that Christians, Evangelicals in particular, may finally have to look at some of the antiquated doctrines that divide.

But I can’t imagine there being a positive aspect to the second situation. I hated to even write it but unfortunately I think it is true. Trump has stirred up anger and hatred that I couldn’t imagine existing in our country when I first wrote this post over 9 months ago. I don’t know much about the 2nd Amendment – and it’s never crossed my mind to own a gun – but there’s more to it than that. I understand that the 2nd Amendment has to do with arming a militia in order to protect citizens from a government that might take away their rights ….

And it scares me that might be what some people think is happening now.

2 Responses to Where to from here…. ? Comments (RSS) Comments (RSS)

1. The hate part is so true…and the one that is so hard to deal with…how can we get the media to tell the truth and report facts not opinions and how do we call people out peacefully without degenerating into immature behavior like Trump. We need healing and someone to bring us together.

• You’re right … I love what I posted on Facebook this morning…Healing is going to have to start with everyone of us regardless of who we voted for: http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Legends/TwoWolves-Cherokee.html

I realize that I’m feeding one wolf or the other at all times …. I might go back through all of my blog posts and think about which one they are feeding. It actually feels good to be able to DELETE any fear, anger, greed, I was feeling when I wrote. Rewriting HISTORY?? You betcha!! :-)!