A Vision Dimmed – Feb. 2, 2013

Published on: Author: bette 6 Comments

I wrote this as a post for Meanderings while sitting in the RV in the middle of the desert near Quartzsite, Arizona.  I was working with a homeschooling family who had decided to enroll their children in an on-line charter school.  As one of their learning coaches I was able to stay connected with them even though I was 1000 miles away.

On this particular day I was listening to a live lesson that had been recorded earlier.  The teacher was preparing her class of fourth graders for the up-coming state testing.  A Vision Dimmed poured out of me as I remembered all of the experiences that had brought me to that particular moment.

Reading it today I realize that it’s not really finished.  I want to revisit it and explain that the vision of a truly learner-centered educational system is still alive and well.  On-line charter schools like “Connections Academy” are a necessary step in as education moves into the 21st century, and they are a wonderful alternative for many families.  But they are just one of a host of alternatives that are moving us into the world that Charles Schwahn describes in his insightful book Inevitable: Mass Customized Learning.

CLICK HERE:  A Vision Dimmed

6 Responses to A Vision Dimmed – Feb. 2, 2013 Comments (RSS) Comments (RSS)

1. Bette,

A good example of “technology, the teacher”?

No need for textbooks. No need for teachers.

Will humans soon evolve to deaf and dumb,
    with nothing left but a texting thumb?

• You open a huge discussion here! When we talked yesterday I mentioned that I remembered Ian Jukes using the term “invisible technology” … meaning that education must evolve to the place where technology is simply a tool … like a pencil, or a textbook. Not to replace these things, and CERTAINLY not to replace the teacher. My point is that the teacher must move into the role of facilitator of learning rather than the dispenser of knowledge. Beyond that, the teacher must be a model … the “lead learner” in the classroom, if you will.

This makes me want to google High Tech High … the movie “Most Likely to Succeed.” I’ll post now and add them later…)

2. You know, Bette. I can empathize and have come to the conclusion that I just don’t care. I’m fortunate to work in a school that allows their teachers freedom to create, for the most part. However, I do teach in a field that is very different from many of the other teachers. ELL cannot conform to any rigid way regardless of what anyone wants students to do. I really think our language learning population will help reform, as long as the money doesn’t bog them down. We spend way too much on materials anyway. I use to teach with paper, pencils and a chalkboard. I could dig up free material around anywhere, books are all over. And people have their own stories. What more do we need when there is a whole world around us?!?

• You’re so right about now many “materials” are needed to teach. I think that’s what’s striking fear into the hearts of textbook publishers, testing companies, and anyone else who makes money supporting the system as it currently functions! I could go on and on about this … but if I do it will be on the page I started yesterday! http://bette.edublogs.org/